Friday, May 22, 2009

This Week's Readings

I found "History to Go: Why I Teach with iPods" very interesting because within the past two weeks our department chairpersons have been discussing the use of iPods on campus. I found out that the iPod can be used for more than just listening. Many teachers do not want the iPods to be on campus, but maybe that is because they do not understand how iPods can be used for more than just listening to music. I liked how the author's class used the iPods to collect data about the history of the Cuban population. This would also be a good way for us here an Guam to work with the Man'amko (the elders) and collect the oral history from them, especially since oral and written histories are not always the same. Reading the article made me want to learn more about the area in which the authors lives and works.

Jill

3 comments:

  1. the IPod can be a great tool and a little carrier of so much information right in the palm of your hand. I have seen it used for so many various things, good and bad. Like every new social software/microblogging tool, they can be used for good and evil, its up to us to decide which we use it for. Have fun and I think using it to colelct history from your elders is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The IPod is a great new piece of technology. It would be very interesting to see how we can use it more often in the classroom. It is true that people do not understand how IPods can be used in a positive way and how they can really benefit the students. This is another way to reach the students at a level that they understand and I am sure they can teach us more about the IPod than we can teach them. You made a great point about using the IPod to collect history from elderly people. That is a great way to get information and keep it organized and easy to access.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are exactly right how many people don't even understand the possibilities of an ipod. I know I still don't even know all of the possibilities but am willing to learn. I think there are, unfortunately, a lot of educators out there that will not take the time or effort to learn. I understand it can be challenging and overwhelming to many, but it could be a resource that ends up making what you do better, making students learn more efficiently, and even simplify your career. I think more schools will start offering technologically advanced professional development training as it is taking over....

    ReplyDelete

A Day At The Ranch

A Day At The Ranch
My son trying to climb the niyok (coconut) tree